October 6, 2020 – The Sanibel Historical Village will reopen October 20, Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
“We are excited to open for guests to visit and enjoy all the Historical Village has to offer,” said Executive Director Emilie Alfino. “Thanks to months of work by our board and staff, we are ready to provide a safe and enjoyable experience for visitors.”
Safety protocols and policies will include the following:
- All visitors, volunteers, and staff will be required to wear a face mask and observe social distancing throughout their time on the Village property. Guests are encouraged to bring their own masks; however, the museum will provide face masks to guests who do not have one. Guests not wearing face masks will not be allowed on the museum property.
- Regular guided tours will be suspended at least until January 2021. However, visitors can make appointments for guided tours with 48 hours’ advance notice, for a minimum of six and no more than 10 guests. These advance-notice tours are meant to accommodate families or small business groups. There is no additional cost; tours are included in the $10 entrance fee. To schedule a tour, call Jan Symroski at (239) 472-1856.
- Alternatively, guests can always self-tour using the audio buttons available in each building; in addition, a brochure guiding guests through the property with detailed information about the buildings will also be available.
- Restrooms and surfaces will be cleaned and disinfected regularly, in addition to enhanced cleaning procedures throughout the village.
- Hand sanitizer will be available in all buildings.
- Two hands-free water stations will be available for guests to fill their own bottles. Collapsible bottles will be available for sale.
- Anyone who is feeling ill or has been in contact with someone who has been feeling ill in the last 14 days is asked not to visit the museum.
“We are working on plans for our events for the season and will have a schedule available soon,” Alfino said. “The board has decided to cancel our annual gala fundraiser during this challenging time. We’re planning several Twilight Talks, but the dates, times and locations are yet to be finalized.” Events will be posted on the museum’s website at www.sanibelmuseum.org.
Located at 950 Dunlop Road on Sanibel, next to BIG ARTS, the Sanibel Historical Village is open Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Guided tours are available only by advance registration with 48 hours’ notice due to the coronavirus. Tours must be in groups of at least six and no more than 10 people, and masks are required. To schedule a tour call Jan Symroski at (239) 472-1856. Admission to the museum is $10 for adults over 18. Members and children are free. There is handicap access. For more information or to make a donation, visit www.sanibelmuseum.org.