Historical Village Home to 1927 Sanibel Post Office

July 28, 2020 – June 22, 2020 – The Sanibel Historical Village has closed early for the off-season due to the coronavirus pandemic. The village will reopen October 20 with hours Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Prior to 1926, the postal system on Sanibel was run out of the postmasters’ homes, which were located on the eastern end of the island. Will Reed served as postmaster for 40 years.

Post Office ExteriorReed operated out of his home until it was destroyed in the 1926 hurricane – the same storm that destroyed Bailey’s store on the wharf. Reed and island children gathered the floating wood, scraps from the buildings destroyed by the storm, and built the post office that resides in the Historical Village today. It is easy to tell when looking at the ceiling that the building is made out of odds and ends pieced together.

There have been several post offices on Sanibel. The first one appears to have been the Nutt home, Gray Gables, where Laetitia Nutt handled mail as post mistress from 1889 until 1895. She picked up the mail at the lighthouse pier. George Cooper also collected mail at St. James City on Pine Island. From 1891 to 1895 he dropped it off on his wife’s sewing machine at their home.

The third post office was the front porch of the bay-front, two-story Reed home, and Will Reed became postmaster, a job he held until 1940. Rural delivery was established in 1900 and the mail was delivered each day to Reed’s Landing, dropped off in a sack. His daughter, Hazel Reed Goddard, succeeded her father as post mistress.

Will Reed was a member of the 1910 Caloosahatchee Valley championship baseball team, the Sanibel Tomato Pickers.

  • The fifth post office was built on Ferry Road, run by Scotia Bryant; it soon proved too small.
  • The sixth, used until 1964, became a private home on Ferry Road.
  • The seventh is now a restaurant near the Cooper Home in the Old Sanibel Shoppes (The Over Easy).
  • 8 is the present post office on Tarpon Bay Road.
  • There was also a post office in the Wulfert area operated by post mistress Jennie Doane in the early 1900s.

Sanibel Historical Museum and Village is open Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Sanibel Historical Village is located at 950 Dunlop Road (next to BIG ARTS) and there is handicap access to eight of the nine buildings. Admission is FREE for SHMV members and $15 for non-members (adults ages 18 years and up).  For more information, call 472-4648 during museum hours or visit www.sanibelmuseum.org.

Gala Appreciation: A Night of Celebration and Gratitude

At the Sanibel Historical Museum & Village, we are thrilled to commemorate 40 years of preserving the rich history of our beloved island. The Gala, a grand celebration, marked a momentous occasion, bringing together our community in a joyous reflection of...

Deck The Shore Was a Great Success

Thank you to the hundreds of friends and BIG ARTS Community Chorus that joined us for a special Holiday Celebration on Friday, December 1st. Sanibel Historical Museum & Village is open from 10 am - 4 pm Tuesdays through Saturdays. Admission is FREE for SHMV...