Miss Charlotta’s Tea Room is the little building with four lives. It was built but never used as a gas station, then after the 1926 hurricane, it served as a temporary store. Between 1928-35 it became a tea room and lastly, a private residence.
Before the 1926 hurricane, the Bailey brothers constructed this building as a gas station. The building survived the hurricane, and the Baileys’ made it a temporary store. When the new store was completed, the building was moved and turned over to Charlotta Matthews, the present Bailey brothers’ maiden aunt, who turned it into a tea room across from the ferry landing.